Tuesday, August 28, 2012

School Starts

First days of school. This has been an exciting week for Cianna and I. I'm not sure which was more excited. My first baby finally going off to school. The significance of this event has not escaped me. Justin found out 2 days before school that he would be able to attend the same school as Cianna for the next three years and he was thrilled. This would definitely help the transition for Cianna too, not to mention a convenience factor for me. The day before - I taught Cianna how to pack a lunch, set out her uniform for the next day, decide how she wants her hair done, got her bag ready and talked about the first day. She said she wasn't nervous because there would be lots of kids there. She slept well and was definitely ready for the next day. Day 1 - She got dressed while listening to music in the morning to help wake up. She looked so adorable in her cute school uniform, which has varied slightly every day so far as she sets out the next outfit. Her hair was in a headband matching the white button down blouse and navy skort. We dropped off Peyton first, then parked the car to walk in together. They let the parents stay with the kids in the morning all the way to the classroom and for the first 15 minutes. She sat in the gym and started talking to a little girl in her class, character backpacks are apparently a great icebreaker. She recognized her teacher and we followed her into the classroom. Cianna put her backpack in her cubby and found her name at the red desk, where she sits across from a little girl named Peyton, how convenient. She started coloring the morning worksheet and settled in pretty well. The only challenge was her decision over whether or not to take breakfast that morning. She settled on a milk and said goodbye. I love that the teacher sends me an email every day about what they learned and questions to ask to prompt discussion. When I picked her up, I couldn't wait to hear, but all I got what "I don't rememember." She did remember how she loved it and couldn't wait to go back. She said "I want to go to school forever." Day 2 - A little rough because she didn't understand that I couldn't go to the classroom with her this day, so she didn't want me to leave. I convinced her that I couldn't go to school because the chairs were too small for me and I had to get to work. She was a bit sad, but okay saying goodbye. Then Justin arrived and she ran across the gym to hug him. That definitely helped. She's also happy to have a friend from her soccer team that is in first grade there. They sit by each other in the morning and are becoming good buddies. They were inseparable at the back to school picnic. We are definitely settling into the routine and it's all been positive. Today is her first day of girl scouts so more to report soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment